The Home Secretary has failed to deliver the promised compensation for victims of the #WindrushScandal. It’s time there were binding targets for dealing with cases - people are dying before they receive what is due to them. pic.twitter.com/Jq8wI3CtiD— Nick Thomas-Symonds MP (@NickTorfaen) November 9, 2020
The Shadow Home Secretary today challenged the Home Secretary across the despatch box over the Government’s failure adequately compensate victims of the Windrush scandal.
Nick Thomas-Symonds MP made his remarks in response to the Home Office’s own figures, released by the BBC following a freedom of information request, which revealed that at least nine people have died before receiving the compensation they were owed. These figures coincide with other media reports suggesting that the compensation scheme set up by the Government in 2018 was beset with unacceptable delays, with as few as just 12% of cases settled.
Mr Thomas-Symonds MP’s latest intervention follows a letter he penned to Rt Hon Priti Patel MP last week, in which he called for targeted time limits on the issuing of compensation, and for the Home Secretary to allocate the additional resources which she previously promised would be available if delays persisted. A full copy of this letter can be read below.
In the House of Commons chamber, the Shadow Home Secretary reiterated his recommendations. Referencing the aforementioned statistics, he said:
“Those figures are shameful.
“The Windrush taskforce was set up more than two and a half years ago. Another five months have passed since June, when the Government promised that it was time for action, and the Home Secretary told the House that she had individual cases passing across her desk. Let me be clear: the Home Secretary will not regain trust on this issue unless the process starts delivering.”
A video of Mr Thomas-Symonds MP’s remarks can be seen below, and read in full here: https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2020-11-09/debates/EE91CE39-99E3-4995-8401-F76A8E8A3D50/TopicalQuestions